Finishing the Layout Customizer

Gary Thompson gary at unicon.net
Wed May 14 21:39:45 UTC 2008

I posted mockups for the keyboard interaction:

Layout Customizer Mockups
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/x/9Q8a

See if this helps answer your questions.

I am planning on changing the drag and drop mockups to have a different
color (green) for the drop target.  At the same time, I'd like to make a
final decision on the visual presentation of locked portlets.

For anyone new to that discussion, it seems that there does not need to
be any indication that a portlet is locked until a user tries to move or
remove it.  Upon one of those interactions, the user needs to be made
aware that the portlet is locked and cannot be moved or removed - which
seems best done by an error message (a la Facebook).

In the mockups for the Layout customizer, I have explored some alternate
visual presentations of locked portlets.  The idea is to provide the
user with a constant visual reminder that the portlet is locked, but I
am not sure I like having the reminder be *constant*.  Therefore, I am
leaning toward having locked portlets visually be no different than
unlocked portlets, with perhaps the one change of replacing the remove
icon (the red X) with a lock icon.  Still, the constant alternate
presentation of locked portlets does tend to reinforce their locked-ness.

Let me know what you think,

Gary