ARIA templateid

Richard Schwerdtfeger schwer at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 21 20:25:24 UTC 2008

Hi Colin,

Just to be clear, this is an aria property and not a role (object type).
That said, you could definintely tag the fluid components with a unique id.
I will suggest module-id or component-id to the WAI-ARA SC meetings.

Thanks for your kind words about the presentation. This project is
fantastic! We need to get industry to replicate this. We also need more
universities to participate. I think attendees were very pleased to see
this was being done for open source education solutions. I don't see many
of the proprietary vendors in the education space using this approach. In
fact, the accessibility of many of the proprietary solutions appears
quesionable - never mind the usability of them.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review  Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

             Colin Clark
             <colin.clark at utor
             onto.ca>                                                   To
                                       Richard
             03/19/2008 05:19          Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
                                       fluid-work
                                       <fluid-work at fluidproject.org>,
                                       sakai-dev
                                       <sakai-dev at collab.sakaiproject.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: ARIA templateid

Hi Rich,

On 19-Mar-08, at 5:58 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> So, there may be time to get its name change (will try) and enhance
> its definition for clarity. Any suggestions?

If I understand it correctly, the ARIA template-id role is intended to
provide a unique identifier for a chunk of dynamic markup and
behaviour, so that assistive technologies have a hook for custom
scriptability. For example, a user may create a custom JAWS script for
Gmail. If someone embeds Gmail within another page or context, perhaps
in a mashup, the template-id will provide an identifier to the
assistive technology so that it knows to use this custom user script.

Assuming I'm correct in my understanding (thanks to David Bolter's
great blog post), there were a couple of ideas we bounced around in
the Fluid channel today:

module-id
component-id

I would guess that we'll probably tag all of our Fluid components with
unique template-ids.
> As an aside I worked on a presentation with Colin Clark for CSUN on
> Fluid. The response was overwhelmingly positve on what Fluid is
> trying to achieve. Congrats to the Fluid team.

Thanks so much to you, Rich, for offering to give this presentation!
For those of you who don't know, CSUN is the largest conference
related to assistive technology and web accessibility. Rich's
presentation gave lots of exposure for the Sakai, uPortal,
OpenCollection, and other communities Fluid works with.