More on Fluid's approach to keyboard bindings

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Thu Mar 20 21:45:54 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have received a couple of questions off-list about how Fluid is
handling keyboard mappings for our components, and thought I'd try to
clarify our approach in the Reorderer and underlying framework.

Recently, Anastasia, Joseph, and Jonathan have been doing a lot of
testing and analysis to come up with some good, screen reader-friendly
default keyboard shortcuts for selecting and moving items with the
Reorderer. We think really good defaults are important, but we also
want to enable customizability. The Reorderer will support more than
one keyboard mapping, and will allow alternatives to be injected at
configuration time or dynamically in by a preferences editor.

Michelle and I are currently sketching out some Fluid framework code
that will provide a simple API for components to support customizable
keyboard mappings. This will prevent developers from having to
hardcode assumptions about keyboard controls, making components more
future-proof and interoperable. This approach is in line with our
general philosophy of allowing flexibility and customization for
different contexts and user needs.

With the help of Mike Elledge and Amy Chen at Oracle, we're also going
to do some quick, targeted user research to learn more about how users
of screen readers tend to accomplish tasks that are otherwise done
using mouse-based drag and drop. This will help us to continue to
refine our designs based on real feedback from users.