Screen readers and the Lightbox

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Thu Mar 20 19:45:35 UTC 2008

I've just finished spending a fair amount of time trying to 'optimize'
the screen reader experience of the Lightbox. I tested some
modifications to the markup to try to have the screen readers speak
something helpful.

I've put together a wiki page of the markup changes that I tested, and
the resulting experience with various browsers and screen readers:
	http://wiki.fluidproject.org/x/34Uk

[ Note that this is similar to Joseph's testing of the title
attribute, but is testing a number of markup changes. Also, I tested
using the new keystrokes that don't conflict with screen reader
reserved keystrokes (some of Joseph's results were the result of the
screen reader interpreting the keystrokes its own way). ]

I would really appreciate people's thoughts on whether or not the
described experience sounds reasonable. If you actually have the use
of a screen reader, you can try it (with virtual cursor or browse mode
OFF). The working file can be access from the build server:
	http://build.fluidproject.org
Follow the "Lightbox with screen reader keystrokes" link

Daphne, I'd also appreciate your input on the modified Instruction
text. It's more verbose now.

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca