ARIA templateid

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 19 22:19:26 UTC 2008

Hi Rich,

On 19-Mar-08, at 5:58 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> So, there may be time to get its name change (will try) and enhance
> its definition for clarity. Any suggestions?

If I understand it correctly, the ARIA template-id role is intended to
provide a unique identifier for a chunk of dynamic markup and
behaviour, so that assistive technologies have a hook for custom
scriptability. For example, a user may create a custom JAWS script for
Gmail. If someone embeds Gmail within another page or context, perhaps
in a mashup, the template-id will provide an identifier to the
assistive technology so that it knows to use this custom user script.

Assuming I'm correct in my understanding (thanks to David Bolter's
great blog post), there were a couple of ideas we bounced around in
the Fluid channel today:

module-id
component-id

I would guess that we'll probably tag all of our Fluid components with
unique template-ids.
> As an aside I worked on a presentation with Colin Clark for CSUN on
> Fluid. The response was overwhelmingly positve on what Fluid is
> trying to achieve. Congrats to the Fluid team.

Thanks so much to you, Rich, for offering to give this presentation!
For those of you who don't know, CSUN is the largest conference
related to assistive technology and web accessibility. Rich's
presentation gave lots of exposure for the Sakai, uPortal,
OpenCollection, and other communities Fluid works with.