Lightbox user testing update

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 19 16:37:57 UTC 2008

Hi, Mike (and all),

I wanted to give you an update on where we're at getting the Lightbox
ready for user testing.

The main issue we've been struggling with is finding a set of
keystrokes that the Lightbox can use that is not already in use by
JAWS or Window-Eyes. This is turning out to be *exceedingly*
difficult, to put it mildly. The current default (which is the arrow
keys for navigation, with the CTRL modifier added for actual moving)
does not work. We want to not conflict with any of the default
keystrokes for these applications.

We've given up finding a single set of keys that will work for *both*
applications, and are considering different sets of keystrokes. We've
identified the combination of I, J, K, and M, with the CTRL modifier,
as a possibility for JAWS, but this combination does not work with
Window-Eyes.

If anyone is familiar enough with JAWS and Window-Eyes to have any
suggestions for us for dealing with this issue, we'd love to hear from
you.

Mike, we're wondering if another direction that might be useful here
is a bit of contextual inquiry into how screen reader users currently
accomplish reordering tasks similar to the Lightbox (and the Reorderer
in general). Do you think you might have some resources to investigate
this?

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca