Refinements to UX planning

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 14 23:11:15 UTC 2008

UX Coordinators,

It's been quite a learning experience over the past couple of months
to figure out the simplest and most effective planning process for the
team. Our overriding goal is to keep the planning simple and
manageable: we want to stay focussed on our project priorities, and we
don't want to spend all of our time in meetings.

To this end, I've been working with Daphne and others to refine the
process a bit. We've introduced a new spreadsheet to help track
individual work assignments, ensuring that we spread the work fairly
across the whole team. We're also estimating and tracking release
plans with greater detail so that we don't lose sight of our ultimate
goal: to release great user interface components for the open source
community.

Here are more details:

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/How+We+Plan

Since we don't yet have a dedicated project manager, we all have to
pitch in to help with the planning process.   In the meantime, Oliver
and I will be around to help prepare the release and iteration plans.

Here's the current break-down of the UX tasks for the upcoming Fluid
0.3 release, scheduled for April 25, 2008:

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Fluid+0.3+UX+Release+Plan

Here's an example of the project tracking spreadsheet that we will be
using for future iteration plans:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=py52-xhVHH6eUo3OYa9ZAJw

I welcome your comments, criticisms, and suggestions.