Heuristic UX evaluation of Date Picker

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 13 19:06:53 UTC 2008

This conversation brings to light how complex it is to build a
seemingly small widget that we want to work well in many different
contexts.

I also think it is a good reminder of how important it is to be very
clear about the design and functional goals along with the primary and
secondary scenarios -- which means much analysis needs to go into
identifying and understanding these scenarios in order to understand
what is reusable and what should be configurable.  Without this
understanding we run the risk of feature creep and the challenge of
"making it work for everything means it works for nothing".  I think
we'll need to include the various patterns of use (many described in
this thread) and suggested behaviors in the design pattern -- even
those that aren't  implemented in the widget itself (but would be an
add-on or configuration).  *Patterns of use* is the key phrase as
there is also danger in trying to define so much in the patterns that
they become difficult to parse.

I suggest we start with creating a list of various locations of date
picker widgets and their primary scenarios for Fluid's primary apps as
a starting point.  From there we can start to see patterns of usage
and abstract the common function/behavior.  Can we add this to the
list of tasks for the date widget?

Although I created a list of some more complex scenarios for the
pager, it wasn't comprehensive so perhaps we should do the same for it?

-Daphne

On Mar 13, 2008, at 8:30 AM, Moore, Kathleen E wrote:

> I certainly hope that the date-picker will live in places besides the
> Sakai Assignments tool. Date-pickers appear in many Sakai tools and
> probably in other software that's on our list (Moodle? Kuali?)
> When a group working on the Sakai Resource tool added the ability to
> schedule resource availability, we wanted something like this but
> never
> finished building it in a way that worked with Velocity, an issue at
> the
> time.
> It would be great to have one easy-to-use, location-sensitive
> date-picker throughout Sakai and perhaps other open-source ed packages
> as well.
> Kathy
>
> Kathleen Moore
> Web Manager, Information Technology Services
> Boston University School of Management
> kemoore at bu.edu
> 617-353-2685

>>> for a user to be able to violate this sort of relative date order