Accessibility evaluation tool WAVE

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 13 17:18:51 UTC 2008

Several years ago when I was learning about accessibility and putting
together some accessibility resources, I found numerous WebAIM
resources to be extremely helpful. I listed quite a few of them on
this page: http://technology.berkeley.edu/cio/tpo/resources/
index.html#accessibility

The article I found most useful was the one: http://www.webaim.org/
articles/screenreader_testing/ which explained how to do an
accessibility walk-through using a screen reader on any computer. It
turns out that you can download a timed version of most screen
readers which allows you to really see what someone using them would
experience. There is some debate about whether you can do an
'accurate' walk-through if you are using your sight, as well as
whether you can really understand how the screenreader works if you
don't spend the time learning it that a normal user would. However, I
found doing a walk-through of a site with a screen reader to be very
helpful (especially to gain empathy about the potential complexity of
the tool) after spending just a short time learning the commands.

Allison

On Mar 10, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Michael S Elledge wrote:

> I've found WebAIM to be a great resource, and the WAVE to be a
> useful tool, although it doesn't seem to provide the depth of
> analysis that the U-Toronto Accessibility Checker provides (that
> can be either a drawback or a benefit, depending on the
> circumstances  :-) ) .
>
> Mike
>
> Eli Cochran wrote:
>> I just got an email from Berkeley Web Accessibility Group pointing
>> me to WAVE, a tool published by WebAIM which does an automated
>> site accessibility report, similar to the W3C validation tools.
>> http://wave.webaim.org/
>>
>> They have also released a Firefox plug-in that allows for local
>> evaluations, nothing sent to the server.
>> http://wave.webaim.org/toolbar
>>
>> I briefly messed about with the plug-in and it seems useful.
>> Perhaps someone with more experience with accessibility can do a
>> more thorough evaluation.
>> Before today, I hadn't heard of WebAIM. Anyone have an opinion
>> about this group in general? Should we be linking to them? Working
>> with them?
>>
>> - Eli
>>                     .
>>
>> Eli Cochran