SWFUpload Word of warning

Ian Boston ieb at tfd.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 17:46:33 UTC 2008

The https bug is due to the flash.net.FileReference.upload method
always adding :80 to all URL if no port is specified,

so you have to process the URL to add :443 to stop this happening.

Initial testing with proxies on OSX shows that Flash uses the OS
proxy settings, and if these are correct it should work

I am using a proxy debug tool called Charles, which you can create a
non authenticating proxy on your machine.
http://xk72.com/charles/

However it wont do authenticating proxies, which I know exist at some
UK sites running Sakai.

So, on OSX at least.
If using SWFUpload with a proxy configuration, you need to configure
the OS proxy settings under, the network settings which takes care of
the Flash connection, and if using FF, then you also have to
configure the FF proxy settings so the browser continues to work. The
danger here is users that only use FF and so dont normally configure
their OS proxy settings. For them SWFUpload wont work.

It would be worth making a test page and seeing if anyone lives
behind an authenticating proxy on Windows and Linux, since each OS is
going to be different.

On the more positive side.   flash.net.FileReference.upload probably
uses the same connection as all connections inside flash, so they
*must* have made this work in an authenticated proxy environment on
all OS's ?

Ian