Date Picker thoughts

Aaron Zeckoski aaronz at vt.edu
Wed Mar 5 19:36:34 UTC 2008

For reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock#Confusion_at_noon_and_midnight

And a snippet or two:
To avoid confusion, the correct designation for twelve o'clock is 12
noon or 12 midnight. Alternatively, the twenty-four-hour-clock system
may be used. The abbreviation a.m. stands for ante-meridiem (before
the Sun has crossed the line) and p.m. for post-meridiem (after the
Sun has crossed the line). At 12 noon the Sun is at its highest point
in the sky and directly over the meridian. It is therefore neither
"ante-" nor "post-".

Many U.S. style guides (including the NIST website) recommend that it
is clearest if one refers to "noon" or "12:00 noon" and "midnight" or
"12:00 midnight" (rather than to "12:00 p.m." and "12:00 a.m.",
respectively). Some other style guides suggest "12:00 n" for noon and
"12:00 m" for midnight,[11] but that conflicts with the older
tradition of using "12:00 m" for noon[1](Latin meridies), and "12:00
mn" for midnight (Latin media nox).

The Canadian Press Stylebook (11th Edition, 1999, page 288) says,
"write noon or midnight, not 12 noon or 12 midnight." Phrases such as
"12 a.m." and "12 p.m." are not mentioned at all.

-AZ