Date Picker thoughts

Aaron Zeckoski aaronz at vt.edu
Wed Mar 5 19:19:41 UTC 2008

I like the time picker that google calendar uses. It is pretty easy to
use and you can just type in the time if you like also.
-AZ

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Colin Clark <colin.clark at utoronto.ca> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>  I'm re-directing this thread on-list so others can join in. Fluid is
>  working on designs for a unified date/time picker. I apologize that we
>  haven't done a better job of publicizing this work. Here are Erin Yu's
>  in-progress designs:
>
>  http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Date+Picker+Widget
>
>  Antranig will likely be helping her to implement this, but if you're
>  interested in lending a hand, we'd love your help. We haven't yet
>  settled a date widget to reuse. Antranig has had good luck with the
>  YUI widget. The jQuery UI widget has potential. Both need significant
>  accessibility work to be useful.
>
>  We've launched a new Mozilla Foundation-funded project to help improve
>  accessibility in the jQuery community. There's a news article on the
>  Fluid Project website and we've created a new jQuery-a11y forum as well:
>
>  http://fluidproject.org/
>  http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-a11y
>
>  Colin
>
>  On 5-Mar-08, at 12:21 PM, Noah Botimer wrote:
>
>  > Cool.  It seemed pretty good when I beat on it for a couple of
>  > minutes.  I don't know what the keyboard/screen-reader accessibility
>  > is like, but I bet it'd be easier (and better received) to fix it in
>  > their component than build one from the ground up.
>  >
>  > Maybe we can use their basic structural model to make a time
>  > picker...  A lot of the same kinds of formatting things apply, from
>  > needing a single selection mode to a range, to the textual order/
>  > separators varying by locale (yyyy-mm-dd vs. mm/dd/yy || h:m vs.
>  > HH.mm, etc.).
>  >
>  > Any added thoughts, Colin?
>  >
>  > Thanks,
>  > -Noah
>  >
>  > On Mar 5, 2008, at 12:07 PM, Gonzalo Silverio wrote:
>  >
>  >> Looks good, Noah.
>  >>
>  >> It does seem to do what is required and seems lighter than the Dojo
>  >> one.  About the only thing I do not see and know is a requirement
>  >> is a time pick component.
>  >>
>  >>     -Gonzalo
>  >>
>  >> On 3/5/08 11:20 AM, "Noah Botimer" <botimer at umich.edu> wrote:
>  >>
>  >>> Hi Gonzalo,
>  >>>
>  >>> In my travels, I spotted a conversation about dates and someone
>  >>> mentioned the jQuery UI Date Picker.  Do you know if Sakai or
>  >>> Fluid are aware of it?  It seems to have rich/easy localization
>  >>> support, and we're already leaning on jQuery.  There are about 20
>  >>> localizations already done, too.  It might be a nice fit, and it's
>  >>> getting active development and visibility.
>  >>>
> [...]

Aaron Zeckoski (aaronz at vt.edu)
Senior Research Engineer - CARET - Cambridge University
[http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/~aaronz/]
Sakai Fellow - [http://aaronz-sakai.blogspot.com/]