jARIA license

Christopher D. Coppola chris.coppola at rsmart.com
Wed Mar 5 19:08:00 UTC 2008

Joseph,

I don't see any flaws in your assessment, though INAL either. LGPL
libraries can certainly be compatible with Fluid's licensing
practices, but I wouldn't just use LGPL code without some analysis of
how you're using it. In the Sakai / Kuali projects there are a number
of licenses that we've become comfortable with and permit the use of
with some simple instructions on how to document the use, and make
sure the appropriate license and/or attribution are documented. With
LGPL we go into a bit more depth of discussion on how the library is
used so we can assess whether our use falls into Section 6 of the LGPL
- "A work that uses the library."

It's a bit more complicated for you because you have to make sure that
your use of LGPL is compatible with both of your outbound license
choices... BSD and ECL 2.0.

We generally have a brief conversation with an attorney to make sure
we're using it in a way that's compatible. A few questions almost
always come up... Is the Fluid project modifying the library (jAria)?
Or using it as is? If you are modifying it, are you doing it through
the jAria project and then essentially using it "as is" or is it
uniquely modified?

/chris
--
the rSmart group