jARIA license

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 5 19:01:12 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Let me see if I can help clarify the situation a little bit.

On 5-Mar-08, at 1:23 PM, Chris Hoffman wrote:

> 1) The Fluid project uses the jQuery JavaScript library, which is
> dual-licensed GPL and MIT (X-11, it looks like).

Yes, jQuery is dual-licensed as GPL and MIT, which is great. This
choice of licenses is one of the reason Fluid and its collaborating
communities like jQuery so much, in addition to its great technology.

> 2) Fluid is licensed under GPL.

Fluid is *not* licensed under GPL. We're dual licensed as ECL 2 and
BSD. This gives our users a wide range of choices.

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Fluid+Licensing

Fluid has developed some new, self-contained plugins for jQuery
accessibility. We hope this code will be widely embraced by the jQuery
community, so we've chosen to license this particular code under the
same approach as jQuery: GPL/MIT. All other code is ECL/BSD.

> 3) jAria is a plugin for the jQuery library that is licensed (perhaps
> mistakenly) under the Lesser GPL.

Fluid would like to use jARIA within Fluid components. I also think
the larger jQuery community will be interested to use jARIA as well.
For both reasons, we're hoping you (Chris H.) might be interested in
changing jARIA's license to GPL/MIT.

> The question is, in order to be used by the Fluid project, does the
> jAria plugin need to be changed to the GPL/MIT dual license?

I think there's a larger question here. If the burgeoning jQuery
accessibility movement ends up choosing to integrate or adapt jARIA
and include it into jQuery UI, are you amenable to this, Chris H.? If
so, it seems like it may simplify things to bring the license in line
with jQuery's license.

Hope this helps clarify,