Patch for FLUID-839: multiple inline edits

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Fri Jun 27 19:07:11 UTC 2008

On 27-Jun-08, at 1:16 PM, Colin Clark wrote:

> On the train to Paris I made some improvements to the Inline Edit
> component.... I created a new method, fluid.inlineEdits() ...
> Here's the JIRA ticket with a patch:
> http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-839
>
> Can you take a look at it and let me know if you think this a
> reasonable approach?

I've commented on the ticket itself, but for people not monitoring
that issue, here are the comments:

Colin, some questions about your patch:
Actually, I guess they're questions about the intention for the
centrally stored component defaults, now that I see them applied in a
real context:

You use fluid.defaults() to define defaults for "inlineEdits"
The InlineEdit component still has separate defaults defined on the
prototype, a practice we're moving away from.
Is it the intention that we eventually move the current prototype
defaults in with the ones you assigned to "inlineEdits"?
Or are the defaults for "inlineEdits" different than the defaults for
"InlineEdit"?

I guess the real question has to do with the intended use of
fluid.defaults() (and forgive me if this was already discussed - if
so, I missed the discussion (I couldn't find anything on the list or
on IRC)):

Is the intended general practice going to be that we create a single
set of defaults for each component?
Or that we use the centrally stored defaults to store as many small
chunks of defaults as we feel is appropriate (e.g. a set for the main
constructor, another set for the inlineEdits() function, maybe another
set for other yet-to-be-defined convenience functions, etc)?

Other than my questions about defaults, the patch looks good - a very
nice improvement.

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca