Inline Edit: changing focus cancels edit?

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 25 17:05:04 UTC 2008

Hi there,

Enter and clicking (or tabbing) outside the field should all save the
changes made.  There isn't a cancel in this interaction.  That is a
driving force for the one-time-undo that appears after a change has
been made.

We are also playing around with a configuration (or possibly sister
component) that uses explicit save and cancel buttons.   We thought
they were necessary in some cases (where we want users to think twice
before changing information -- like in the gradebook or if they've put
a lot of cognitive work into writing) but after the design review we
are questioning the need since we allow them to do the one time
undo.    You can see where we are thinking about it at:
  http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Inline+Edit+Storyboard+-+Edit+text+and+protect+user+from+losing+original+text
.
in the 2nd scenario.  I'll be reworking the storyboard with no
explicit buttons and an undo to see how it works out.

Probably more information than you wanted :).  The quick answer is to
look for that storycard in the next week or so.

-Daphne