Modal dialogs

Jim Eng jimeng at umich.edu
Mon Jun 23 11:59:48 UTC 2008

In spite of this lengthy response to what seemed like a simple little
question, I missed something fairly important.  Another big reason for
organizing tasks like this into little "pop-up" dialogs is that users
are familiar with this way of structuring activity within a GUI.  It
makes sense when a task is presented to us in this way.  It strips
away complexity and helps us focus on the task and its requirements.

And when talking about modality, I don't mean that it should be hard
for the user to dismiss such a dialog.  It needs to be clear when
dismissing the dialog will result in losing work and when it will
result in success at creating/revising the item.  In some cases, it
could be as simple as clicking away from the dialog, as long as it's
clear what effect that will have.

BTW, when I referred to the link's "target", I really meant the URL.

Jim