Jaws and the Generic Lightbox Demo

Michael S Elledge elledge at msu.edu
Thu Jul 31 14:47:27 UTC 2008

Hi Jonathan--

I would second your comment about having an instructions or help mode
for persons using assistive technology. We're working on a project where
a client is using several third party applications that aren't terribly
consistent in their operations (a less than ideal situation to be sure)
and have recommended accessibility information links at the point of
initiation to alert users, along with an link on the main navigation bar
that summarizes what lies ahead.

I'm not sure if there is a conventional way of identifying contextual
accessibility information--maybe all that's needed is the "i" logo, with
it being identified as "Accessibility Information" in alt text and a
title tag, or a help icon with similar treatment. Do you think one or
the other would be better?

I guess this also raises the possibility of Fluid creating a special
icon for accessibility instructions if that's a road we want to go down,
although there seems to be a proliferation of symbols out there already
for other things that adds to clutter.

Of course, having all the components behave consistently with respect to
keystrokes and functionality offers the greatest potential for improving
user experience. Maybe we should put together a table that summarizes
the keys, commands and functionality for the Fluid components?

Mike