ARIA Progress bars

Richard Schwerdtfeger schwer at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 25 15:12:41 UTC 2008

It does to the best of my knowledge although there is a bug with owns
supporting multiple relationships. That is being worked on.

Aaron, anything else missing?

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review  Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

             Jacob Farber
             <jacob.farber at uto
             ronto.ca>                                                  To
                                       Richard
             07/25/08 09:59 AM         Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM at IBMUS,
                                       fluid-work
                                       <fluid-work at fluidproject.org>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: ARIA Progress bars

Are you aware if FF3 follows this latest working draft?
Jacob

Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

      Hi Jacob,

      You don't need to set live attributes on a status bar. The ATs know
      how to deal with progressbars. A progress bar is not a region it is a
      widget. You don't need to worry about busy either.

      You need to support valuemax, valuemin, and and valuenow.
      http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/#progressbar
      For any range object you need to provide these values. max annd min
      are not effective without knowing the current value. An AT often
      needs to announce the current progress which cannot be computed
      without the current value.

      Cheers,

      Inactive hide details for Jacob Farber <jacob.farber at utoronto.ca>
      Jacob Farber <jacob.farber at utoronto.ca>

                         Jacob Farber
                         <jacob.farber
                         @utoronto.ca>

                         Sent by:                                       To
                         fluid-work-bo
                         unces at fluidpr                 fluid-work
                         oject.org                     <fluid-work at fluidpr
                                                       oject.org>

                         07/24/08                                       cc
                         02:31 PM

                                                                   Subject

                                                       ARIA Progress bars

      Hi Everyone,
      I've been putting together some specs for semantic progress bars,
      specifically for the Uploader. I've been trying to wrap my head
      around
      the ARIA specs re: this patricular live region, and this is what I
      got
      as a starting point (as outlined in the JIRA key FLUID-983)

      Static attributes:
      • role = progressbar
      • valuemax = 100
      • valuemin = 0
      • live = assertive

      Dynamic attributes:
      • valuenow (number)
      • busy (boolean)

      So far, we've had some good JAWS feedback in FF as it reads out the
      valuenow attribute appropriately, but what I was wondering is can we
      put
      an actual phrase in the attribute?
      (蛾http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-wai-aria-20080204/#valuenow says no,
      but