ARIA Progress bars

Richard Schwerdtfeger schwer at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 25 14:39:53 UTC 2008

Hi Jacob,

You don't need to set live attributes on a status bar. The ATs know how to
deal with progressbars. A progress bar is not a region it is a widget. You
don't need to worry about busy either.

You need to support valuemax, valuemin, and and valuenow.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/#progressbar
For any range object you need to provide these values. max annd min are not
effective without knowing the current value. An AT often needs to announce
the current progress which cannot be computed without the current value.

Cheers,

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review  Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

             Jacob Farber
             <jacob.farber at uto
             ronto.ca>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  fluid-work
             fluid-work-bounce         <fluid-work at fluidproject.org>
             s at fluidproject.or                                          cc
                                                                   Subject
                                       ARIA Progress bars
             07/24/08 02:31 PM

Hi Everyone,
I've been putting together some specs for semantic progress bars,
specifically for the Uploader. I've been trying to wrap my head around
the ARIA specs re: this patricular live region, and this is what I got
as a starting point (as outlined in the JIRA key FLUID-983)

Static attributes:
• role = progressbar
• valuemax = 100
• valuemin = 0
• live = assertive

Dynamic attributes:
• valuenow (number)
• busy (boolean)

So far, we've had some good JAWS feedback in FF as it reads out the
valuenow attribute appropriately, but what I was wondering is can we put
an actual phrase in the attribute?
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-wai-aria-20080204/#valuenow says no, but
is this for certain?)
Jacob