Pager: Rules for Mid-range Display

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 24 22:35:34 UTC 2008

Hey Erin,

Nice work! A couple of comments:

1) I knew I'd seen the notation you use here: "193/6 = 32.2 ? 50"
before but wasn't quite sure what you meant by it. Eli said it could
be a ternary operator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Ternary_operation), but the examples I've seen of this don't seem to
match up with what you've written. For instance, it appears in this
statement ("193/6 = 32.2 ? 50") you are saying "round 32.2 up to 50."
However, I'm not sure what "Display all multiples of I ? T" means.
Perhaps you could explain that notation near the top of the rules if
you'd like to use it, or write it out in words?

2) Although I know we want to put things close together, I'm wondering
if having once space each between the 5 numbers in the "center" may
make it a little hard to parse the content at a glance? What if we
instead used this Spacing Rule: "Place 2 spaces between a pair of
consecutive numbers"?

Cheers,
Allison

On Jul 23, 2008, at 1:07 PM, Daphne Ogle wrote:

> Hey Erin,
>
> Sorry for the late response -- just found this in my inbox.
>
> These rules seem fine.  I really like that you've identified the
> purpose for the midrange display.  The real test will be when we do
> user testing to see if the purpose is met.  Nice job!
>
> One note on the page, it's not clear if the "Paging Rules (Old)" are
> still relevant or not.  If not perhaps we want to move them off this
> page.  If they are, I'd suggest the midrange rules become part of
> the overall rules.
>
> -Daphne
>
> On Jul 17, 2008, at 3:09 PM, erin yu wrote:
>

>> One of the next steps for Pager would be to design and implement
>> what we call the "mid-range display".
>>
>> What is mid-range display?
>> Let me explain with an example. :) Let's say you're on page 45 of
>> 102 pages.
>>
>> Instead of showing the page numbers the traditional way, like this:
>> .. 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ..
>>
>> we'd like to show the entire range:
>> 1    20    40   43 44 45 46 47   50    60    80    90     100   106
>>
>> so the user has quicker access to the pages in the middle and while
>> still having easy access to the near-by pages.
>> The first draft of the rules is on the wiki if you are interested:
>> http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Pager+Design
>> +Specifications
>>
>> It's a work in progress, and as usual, feedbacks are welcome.
>>
>> Erin
>
> Daphne Ogle
> Senior Interaction Designer
> University of California, Berkeley