Wiki: Component page template

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 23 21:38:56 UTC 2008

I'm looking at the various component pages on the wiki, i.e. the
starter page for each component.

Most of them seem (to me) to be organized along the lines of the
design pattern format, i.e. headings with 'what' 'who' 'how'
questions. I'm wondering if there might be a better way to structure
these pages, and I'd like other people's opinions.

One question is: Who is the main audience for the page? I've been
imagining that the main (but certainly not only) audience for the
component pages is: potential users of the components, i.e. developers.

(here's the place to interject your disagreement/agreement :-)

Assuming that developers are the main audience:
I'm wondering if the more 'backgroundy' information, like functional
requirements, design info, wireframes, etc. could be moved to other
pages and linked to from the main component page.

In fact, I might suggest that *most* of the information be moved to
separate pages and linked to from the main component page. I guess I
currently find the pages a bit overwhelming. I'd (personally) prefer
the starter page for a component to be a jumping-off point for finding
more specific information. The page could contain a brief description,
maybe the demo, and links to more information based on what you're
looking for.

What do other people think about these ideas? (a reminder: I'm easily
swayed by good arguments) I'm happy to contribute toward any
restructuring that people might feel is appropriate.

As a side note, I also recommend differentiating between a 'screen
shot' and a 'wire frame' or 'mock-up.' In particular (though there may
be other examples), I'm thinking of the 'screen shots' on the Pager
page. They are not screen shots, in that they are not images of what
the Pager does. They are images of what we'd *like* the Pager to do,
and what we're working toward the Pager eventually doing, but it
doesn't do these things yet, and calling the images 'screen shots'
seems misleading to me.

Thoughts?

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca