Jaws and the Generic Lightbox Demo

Justin justin.obara at utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 23 20:35:02 UTC 2008

I'm still very new to using Jaws. I'm trying to learn and understand
not only how the software works, but how a typical user would make use
of it.

I was testing it on the generic lightbox example (http://build.fluidproject.org/fluid/sample-code/reorderer/generic-lightbox/generic-lightbox.html
) and a few things came to mind.

1) you  need to turn Browse Mode off to use keyboard drag and drop,
this isn't in the keyboard instructions.

2) For Jaws the 'ctrl + a direction key" movement doesn't work
properly, yet it is still mentioned to the user.

3) The user has to perform an additional tab after hearing the
instructions, in order to perform drag and drop, but isn't told this.

Would it be possible to change the instructions so that the person
using jaws does not hear the written instructions, but a specific
message that includes the necessary information (as mentioned in the
points above)?

Would a typical Jaws user need these instructions (points above)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Justin