Pager: Rules for Mid-range Display

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 23 20:07:19 UTC 2008

Hey Erin,

Sorry for the late response -- just found this in my inbox.

These rules seem fine.  I really like that you've identified the
purpose for the midrange display.  The real test will be when we do
user testing to see if the purpose is met.  Nice job!

One note on the page, it's not clear if the "Paging Rules (Old)" are
still relevant or not.  If not perhaps we want to move them off this
page.  If they are, I'd suggest the midrange rules become part of the
overall rules.

-Daphne

On Jul 17, 2008, at 3:09 PM, erin yu wrote:

> One of the next steps for Pager would be to design and implement
> what we call the "mid-range display".
>
> What is mid-range display?
> Let me explain with an example. :) Let's say you're on page 45 of
> 102 pages.
>
> Instead of showing the page numbers the traditional way, like this:
> .. 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ..
>
> we'd like to show the entire range:
> 1    20    40   43 44 45 46 47   50    60    80    90     100   106
>
> so the user has quicker access to the pages in the middle and while
> still having easy access to the near-by pages.
> The first draft of the rules is on the wiki if you are interested:
> http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Pager+Design+Specifications
>
> It's a work in progress, and as usual, feedbacks are welcome.
>
> Erin

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer
daphne at media.berkeley.edu