Inline Edit: Blanks -- initial, embedded, and trailing

Paul Zablosky Paul.Zablosky at ubc.ca
Tue Jul 22 17:27:19 UTC 2008

It's interesting that a lot of the tricky issues with Inline Edit are
associated with "whitespace" -- blanks, tabs, newlines, and
"emptiness".  Here it's a case of the user having to deal with the
/internal /value of the string (which may contain repeated spaces) while
editing, and later seeing the /display/ value which has been filtered
through HTML.  If the user is used to doing markup-language text
editing, they probably understand what is going on. If they're used to
WYSIWYG, they probably don't.

Paul