Inline Edit: Blanks -- initial, embedded, and trailing

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 22 13:19:34 UTC 2008

On 21-Jul-08, at 8:05 PM, Paul Zablosky wrote:

> A couple of questions:
> 	• Is the trimming and compressing of blanks part of the intended
> behaviour of the component?

The compression of blanks is a side effect of the way HTML works - if
you put a string of spaces into HTML markup, they are displayed as a
single space. If you want what is called a 'non-breaking space,' you
have to use the special character ' ' instead of a regular space
character.

It's a question for the designers as to what would be the ideal
behaviour when a user enters a string of spaces into the edit field.

> 	• Shouldn't the width of the edit box be the same as the editable
> text width?

This is a good question - another one for the designers, I suspect :-)

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca