Inline Edit: Blanks -- initial, embedded, and trailing

Paul Zablosky Paul.Zablosky at ubc.ca
Tue Jul 22 00:05:39 UTC 2008

I've been trying to get a feeling for how the Inline Edit demo
<http://build.fluidproject.org/fluid/sample-code/inline-edit/announcements/announcements.html>
handles multiple blanks in text.

If I edit a field containing:
       |The value is close to X|
and I change it to:
       |The value is          X|

then when I complete the edit, what  I see displayed is:
       |The value is X|

So it looks like multiple blanks get compressed out.  But have I changed
the value of the stored field or not?  It's hard to tell.

When I go back and edit the field again, I see:
       |The value is |

This is a surprise.  What happened to the X?  If I scroll the field over
with the arrow key, I find that the blanks and the X are still there,
but hidden because the width of the box in which the string is displayed
is /compressed text /width.

A couple of questions:

   1. Is the trimming and compressing of blanks part of the intended
      behaviour of the component?
   2. Shouldn't the width of the edit box be the same as the editable
      text width?

Paul