Inline Edit: Single line/multi-line?

Paul Zablosky Paul.Zablosky at ubc.ca
Fri Jul 18 17:00:55 UTC 2008

My experience with this has been that the removal of carriage returns is
closer to what I want to happen.  As Eli suggests, if you clip a
multi-line street address from somewhere and drop it into Google maps,
you want all the text, but don't care about the loss of the line breaks.

It really comes down to context of use, but my inclination would be to
keep all possible text, and only lose the forbidden characters.  The
assumption is that the user is trying to avoid typing everything, and
wants to keep the text as intact as possible, subject to the filtering
rules of the target field. We have to decide if the rule reads "I only
want one line and you gave me several so I'm only going to accept the
first one" or "Line breaks are forbidden in this field, so I'm removing
them from your input".   I prefer the latter interpretation, since the
line breaks in the input may not be meaningful, as in the case of text
clipped from a paragraph in an email message.

Paul