Wikimania - invitation to see progress.

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 18 00:10:56 UTC 2008

Thanks much for your work on this Jonathan! I have a couple comments/
questions for folks about wiki re-organization in general.

1) I noticed that the front page of the wiki has changed so that the
left nav is duplicated in the content area of the front page.
Generally, in the spirit of simplicity, good use of space, and keeping
a user's cognitive load low (e.g. I had to look at it for a minute to
make sure that it was exactly the same thing as the left nav), it's
not generally a good idea to duplicate information on a page. Is there
a reason that we've done this? I feel like the content area of the
front page of the wiki would be better used to do some "marketing" of
Fluid (e.g. perhaps the "What is Fluid?" page).

2) We've noticed that many of the pages on the wiki have a "Table of
Contents" section. It is usually created with a Confluence macro {toc}
which points to headings on that particular page. We think this may be
a bit confusing, as it's hard to tell if this is the "Table of
Contents" for that particular page, or the Table of contents for the
entire section of the wiki the user is in. I'd like to suggest
following Paul's convention in the User Manual (http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/User+Manual+Table+of+Contents
) and instead call these sections "On this Page." I just went through
a lot of the wiki (and I think all of the User Experience section) and
made these changes. (One other note: you can use {toc:minLevel=2} if
all your headings start with H2's so that all the bullets are left-
justified.

Cheers,
Allison