Modal dialogs

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 16 22:32:22 UTC 2008

Jim,

Apologies for responding to this thread so late. It got lost in the
whirlwind of conference travel and preparation.

Fluid is using the Dialog widget from jQuery UI 1.5 for our Uploader
component.  It seems to work pretty well for us, and it has some nice
features. You can try out a working demo here:

http://ui.jquery.com/functional_demos/#ui.dialog

At the moment, we're working on adding keyboard navigation and ARIA
support to Uploader for the Infusion 0.4 release. As part of this
work, we're going to make the jQuery UI Dialog accessible, too. If all
goes well, I hope these improvements will be included in an upcoming
release of jQuery.

As for your specific issues, I don't know how it would work within an
iFrame, but I suspect this is a common problem.

Noah had mentioned problems with some dialog where they weren't truly
modal, allowing users to navigate via keyboard outside the document.
The jQuery UI Dialog does seem to correctly swallow both mouse and
keyboard events outside of the dialog, so it functions in a truly
modal way.

Hope this helps,

Colin