Question about inline-edit styling

Allison Bloodworth ABLOODWORTH at BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Jul 15 21:29:52 UTC 2008

On Jul 11, 2008, at 6:42 AM, Anastasia Cheetham wrote:

>> I'm going to think aloud a bit hear in the hopes of hearing others
>> perspective.
>>
>> The current design describes these 2 actions as having the same
>> visual representation.  The point of the highlight is to help users
>> discover the functionality.
>
> This is what I assumed, and I actually wondered why the current
> implementation treated the two situations differently.
>
>> For keyboard interaction, tabbing into the field is when we want
>> the user to know they can edit the information in the field.  Since
>> the field has focus I assume it will display as an editable field
>> at that point?
>
> No, focus does *not* switch the component into edit mode, you have
> to press Enter to do that. So it is necessary to have some other
> indication that the text is editable, and putting on my user hat, I
> would think it would be more consistent if the visual indication was
> the same regardless of mouse vs. keyboard.

Thanks for bringing this up Anastasia!  In this case I believe the
interaction should be the same for the mouse and keyboard. The yellow
highlight should definitely appear when focus is switched to this
field with the keyboard as well as the mouse so that the user knows it
is editable.

> --
> Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
> Software Designer, Fluid Project    http://fluidproject.org