Usability questions for Uploader

Justin justin.obara at utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 15 14:03:27 UTC 2008

The pop-up version of the Uploader can be viewed here:
http://build.fluidproject.org/fluid/sample-code/uploader/pop-up/index.html

The inline version of Uploader can be viewed here:
http://build.fluidproject.org/fluid/sample-code/uploader/inline/index.html

I had two thoughts about the usability of Uploader.

1) The 'Add Files' button remains visible in the pop-up version, as it
is on the same page as the Uploader. This may cause confusion for the
user between the 'Add Files' button on the page and the 'Browse Files'
button on the Uploader.

This may just be an issue with this example (i.e. the integrator may
have control over this)

2) After clicking the 'Add Files' button (pop-up version) or 'Browse
files" button (both versions) a modal OS file open dialog appears. It
makes sense to use a modal dialog here, as the user needs to make a
decision on files before continuing the interaction with the Uploader.
However, in a tabbed browsing environment, it will prevent the use of
any tabs in the browser. This means that a user who is flipping
between  tabs (e.g. to see what is already uploaded and deciding what
needs to be), won't be able to.

I'm not sure if this is an option or not, it may be that the file open
dialog is only modal.

Please share your thoughts

Thanks
Justin