Storyboards for screen reader interaction?

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 15 13:07:48 UTC 2008

On 14-Jul-08, at 5:57 PM, Daphne Ogle wrote:

> I've started working on outlining the keyboard behavior for simple
> text  inline edit.  I'll be specifying the interaction directly in the
> current storyboards.  Do we need the same for screen reader
> interaction?

Well, the keyboard interaction should be just that, and ideally, it
will be the same whether or not a screen reader is being used. We'll
need to do some testing to ensure that whatever keystrokes you decide
would be ideal don't conflict with dedicated screen reader keystrokes
(that was an issue with the Lightbox) but we distinctly *don't* want
to have different interaction for screen-reader users and non-screen-
reader users.

Some guidance on what audio feedback to work toward would be helpful.
We'll have to investigate what screen readers already do with the
various components we work with, and what we do and don't have control
over, but again, knowing what you'd recommend as ideal is very helpful.

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca