Inline Edit: Single line/multi-line?

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 15 13:01:44 UTC 2008

On 14-Jul-08, at 2:33 PM, Daphne Ogle wrote:

> Are we in need for a conversation about this?  It seems like this is
> quite a complicated conversation to have asynchronously.

A conversation is probably a good idea, we should definitely do that.
At the same time, an email thread acts as a record of a conversation,
which my aging brain appreciates ;-)

> As far as defaults, can we specify based on the field type?

Just thinking aloud here...

I imagine that we could have a single configurable components that
comes with several different API methods depending on the use. The
idea would be that the name of the function call would make it pretty
obvious what the purpose is, so for example:

     fluid.createSingleLineEdit();
     fluid.createMultiLineEdit();
     fluid.createAutoWrappingEdit();

or some such thing. Technically, the internals of the components would
configure different defaults based on the implied context for each of
these cases (which would, of course, be clearly documented), and in
any case, the defaults could be overridden.

> This conversation makes me wonder about display while editing versus
> display once edited.  Does the component control both?

That's a very good question. We'd probably benefit from some
wireframes illustrating what the ideal interaction would look like in
the various contexts.

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca