inline edit, mouse-over interaction

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 14 21:00:21 UTC 2008

Hey Justin,

Thanks for pointing these out.  I'll add them to the list.  These are
all still in progress which is one of the reasons for the
inconsistencies -- playing around with storyboards is our way of
thinking through various interactions.

It's always good to bring these kinds of inconsistencies up though!

-Daphne

On Jul 14, 2008, at 5:45 AM, Justin wrote:

> In the story cards for inline edit it describes several types of
> inline edit tasks; simple text, large amounts of text, constrained
> choice, and date.
>
> I noticed that the mouse-over interaction seems to be slightly
> different for these tasks.
>
> simple text
>
> highlight element in yellow
> hover message appears after 2 seconds
> pointer is an arrow
>
> constrained choice
>
> highlight element in yellow
> hover message appears after 3 seconds
> pointer is an arrow
>
> date
>
> highlight element in yellow
> no hover message
> pointer changes to an i-bar
>

> It may help users to make these items consistent.
>
> For example, the hover message could appear after 2 seconds for all
> situations.
>
> If the pointer changes to an i-bar for the date, it should also
> change for the simple text. That being said, there may be
> justification for keeping them all arrows or some other form, as
> regular non-editable text also changes the pointer to an i-bar.
>
> - Justin

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer
daphne at media.berkeley.edu