Inline Edit: Single line/multi-line?

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 14 18:33:20 UTC 2008

Yes, my response was going to be that it completely depends on the
context.  I think we need to support: automatic wrapping of text,
expanding to multi-line to keep within a restricted width and in some
cases restriction to one line.  We probably want to say a bit about
when the different configs are appropriate.

As far as defaults, can we specify based on the field type?  Using the
iCal example, the title is a text field which usually indicates brief
text and should probably default to 1 line restriction.  The
description uses a text box typically used for longer text so perhaps
an auto-wrap is a better default for it?   One of the evil behaviors
we want to avoid is allowing the user to type when the text doesn't
fit in the field/box so they can only see part of what they are typing.

This conversation makes me wonder about display while editing versus
display once edited.  Does the component control both?

Are we in need for a conversation about this?  It seems like this is
quite a complicated conversation to have asynchronously.

-Daphne