Inline Edit: Single line/multi-line?

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Fri Jul 11 16:42:26 UTC 2008

Ok, I'm going to record some of my musings here, for the record.
They're not really ideas or suggestions, just thoughts from the
combination of user and implementation perspectives. For now, I'm
thinking of the 'simple text' scenario only.

Should we support automatic wrapping of text, expanding to multi-line
to keep within a restricted width (a la facebook status)? Should we
restrict it to one line (i.e. should we offer both options)?

If we do support this, how would it interact/overlap with more hard-
coded line breaks (which facebook ignores, by the way)? Should it be
one or the other, or both simultaneously?

These choices (if we implement multiple ones) should be configurable,
but which one should be the default?

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca