Question about inline-edit styling

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Fri Jul 11 13:42:19 UTC 2008

> I'm going to think aloud a bit hear in the hopes of hearing others
> perspective.
>
> The current design describes these 2 actions as having the same
> visual representation.  The point of the highlight is to help users
> discover the functionality.

This is what I assumed, and I actually wondered why the current
implementation treated the two situations differently.

> For keyboard interaction, tabbing into the field is when we want the
> user to know they can edit the information in the field.  Since the
> field has focus I assume it will display as an editable field at
> that point?

No, focus does *not* switch the component into edit mode, you have to
press Enter to do that. So it is necessary to have some other
indication that the text is editable, and putting on my user hat, I
would think it would be more consistent if the visual indication was
the same regardless of mouse vs. keyboard.

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca