Inline Edit: Single line/multi-line?

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 11 00:51:56 UTC 2008

This is a difficult question and I'm having difficulty defining the
distinction between "simple text" and "large amounts" of text.  I've
been thinking of the latter as something more like a document where
the user may be making multiple edits in one "field" and they likely
will use something like a wysiwyg editor to do the editing.  The
storyboard for this can be found at:  http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Inline+Edit+Storyboard+-+Edit+large+amounts+of+text

I think the simple text editor should support both single line a
multiple line text depending of the context it's being used in.  So
both a text field and a text box would fall into the "simple text" area.

Basically for simple text, the user is editing a single component.
The edits are changed when the user moves focus away from the field.
And we add a temporary undo to allow them them go back to the state
before they started editing.  For the "large amounts" of text (or
perhaps better called 'document-style editing) there can be any number
of lines of text like in a wiki page.  Many edits can be made in
different sections of the "document" without the focus ever changing
so a one time undo isn't enough protection for the user.  We use an
explicit save in this case to make sure they really want to save all
their changes.  They also likely create this text with some sort of
wysiwyg editor.

Just today I started thinking of these 2 interactions as 2 different
components that are part of a family of inline edit components.   I
could be way off base and haven't even had a sanity check on this
thinking.

-Daphne