Inline Edit: empty fields and minimum widths

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 9 22:17:29 UTC 2008

Hey Gary,

Good point -- the last thing we want to do is get caught up on an edge
case.   I think we do have some real examples of this need though.
Check out this storyboard, http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Inline+Edit+Storyboard+-+Edit+information+with+constrained+choices+and+dates

The item is initially not assigned/constrained to a group so the field
is left blank.  The blankness is information.  The alternative is to
have text in the space when the field is null but many times that
becomes a lot of noise.  Or in the lightbox example, what if someone
just didn't use the description field.  Would they want a message "to
enter description" under every image?   What do you think?

The choice of whether or not to use text to describe null or leave it
blank will actually be left to the application that is implementing
the component.  But I do think we want to make it possible to leave it
blank and give design advice in the design pattern about the right
thing to do.

I guess in this particular example (storyboard from above), the field
could be the size of the drop down.

-Daphne