Inline Edit: empty fields and minimum widths

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 8 14:15:56 UTC 2008

On 7-Jul-08, at 1:50 PM, Gary Thompson wrote:

> Do we have a context of use where the user is editing "nothing"?  It
> seems that all of the comparative analysis and contexts of use in
> the design of inline edit point to having something already existing
> to edit.
>
> If the condition exists where the user has not yet entered
> information, then it should probably be populated with a default
> message like "Click here to enter description" (from the lightbox
> collection view).  This also becomes the cue to the user that they
> can inline edit said information.
>
> Then the existing information (whether user entered or a default
> message) provides the "width" of the inline edit field.

Gary, thanks for your input.

Filling in an 'empty' field with a default message is going to be the
default behaviour. However, comments last month on the thread "Inline
Edit - clearing the field" indicated that there are *some* situations
in which leaving the field empty is desirable, and that implementors
should have that option.

The problem was that if the field was empty, it collapsed to virtually
0 width, so hovering over didn't result any apparent style changes, so
you couldn't tell it was there.

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca