Inline Edit: empty fields and minimum widths

Gary Thompson gary at unicon.net
Mon Jul 7 17:50:16 UTC 2008

Do we have a context of use where the user is editing "nothing"?  It
seems that all of the comparative analysis and contexts of use in the
design of inline edit point to having something already existing to edit.

If the condition exists where the user has not yet entered information,
then it should probably be populated with a default message like "Click
here to enter description" (from the lightbox collection view).  This
also becomes the cue to the user that they can inline edit said information.

Then the existing information (whether user entered or a default
message) provides the "width" of the inline edit field.

Gary