Inline Edit: empty fields and minimum widths

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Mon Jul 7 16:23:29 UTC 2008

On 7-Jul-08, at 11:43 AM, Michael S Elledge wrote:

> How about using putting the input field in a CSS class containing
> the "inline" attribute?
>
> Anastasia Cheetham wrote:
>>
>> The problem is this:
>>
>> It seems you can't set a minimum width on <span> elements without
>> setting them to "display:block" (if anyone knows otherwise, please
>> correct me!!).

Mike, thanks for the suggestion! I just tried it out, and
unfortunately, it has the wrong effect. By forcing the display to be
'inline' it actually imposes the "no minimum width allowed" behaviour,
so that even empty divs, which would have allowed a minimum width,
become invisible :-(

Michelle suggested a bit of a hack that would likely work, which is to
fill the 'empty' field with spaces. I'll investigate this option later
today (unless anyone thinks it's a bad idea...)

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca