Reorder/Image Gallery

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Mon Feb 18 19:57:29 UTC 2008

On Feb 18, 2008, at 8:26 AM, Knoop, Peter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From looking at the demo I get the sense that the lightbox/re-order
> might only support moving objects around in a snap-to-grid, auto-
> arrange
> sort of way?  What I'm thinking of here is support for the ability to
> drag objects to specific spots on the screen, or dragging objects such
> that they might overlap other objects, or leaving blank "spots"
> between
> objects to move other objects to later.  Is this possible?
Not at this point but it is a behavior we've identified for future
functionality for the Image Gallery.  It's not a timeline or
scheduled in a future phase but is a known need.

> As an example, I have a bunch of thumbnail images of students' screens
> from ImageQuiz, on which they've sketched out a response to a question
> or a concept map in class, and I want to quickly drag them into a few
> different piles to sort out the responses.  Everyone can look at the
> size of those piles to see what the proportions of responses are for
> different opinions; if it's a right-wrong type experience, then
> there is
> hopefully just one big pile.  I might also choose to grab a pile and
> spread them out in a snap-to-grad, auto-arrange way to talk about the
> variability in a set of the related responses, but leave the other
> piles
> on the sides of the view for reference.
This is very similar to the kind of need we've seen during research
for the Image Gallery.   We watched a few instructors creating their
image-centric lectures on traditional lightboxes.  The first thing
they do is start putting slides in several piles.  Then the piles got
filtered and rearranged before they got to the stage of actually
laying out the image by image lecture.  The latter stage "laying out
the image by image lecture" is  the piece supported by the Image
Gallery at this point.

Thanks for sharing!  I've added this to the Image Gallery Future
Phase Requirements list on the wiki (not a complete list):   http://
bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/GAL/Draft+2.6+Requirements
+and+Goals

> Thanks.
>
> -peter

> This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab
> (https://collab.sakaiproject.org/portal) from the DG: User
> Experience site.
> You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace >
> Preferences.

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer
daphne at media.berkeley.edu