User Testing the uPortal Layout Manager

erin.yu at utoronto.ca erin.yu at utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 15 08:06:32 UTC 2008

I like those ideas too, Justin.
it probably doesn't mean portlet layout changes will be modal...

I have a preference for keeping it non-modal, because it's something
users should have easy access to anytime they want. They should be
able to move things around without having to enter a mode.

I think providing multiple indicators (grabby hand, 4way arrow icon,
alt text) and visually distinguishing movable/locked portlets would
sufficiently indicate to the users which portlets can be moved and
how. For it to be modal, we'd have to make sure it's very
discoverable, obvious when you're in the mode and how to get out of
it, clear that you can only do certain things in it.

On another note, it's so helpful how the user testing results are
organized on the wiki page. Good practice I should follow :)

Erin