Update: Portlet Reorderer

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 15 02:25:13 UTC 2008

Thanks for the update Anastasia!

One idea that immediately comes to mind is integration of this
functionality into Sakai's "Home" tool.  Users often request more
customization on this page.  It can include several portlets:
worksite setup and several synoptic tools...  I don't know the
technical implications -- I think it's a velocity tool.  I'm
including the Sakai dev & UX groups on the thread.

What do others think?

-Daphne

On Feb 14, 2008, at 9:24 AM, Anastasia Cheetham wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We've been making some great progress in applying the Reorderer to
> portlets, and I'm overdue to update the community with what we have.
> This work was undertaken initially for implementation in uPortal, but
> we think that what we've developed may be useful for the broader
> application of moving arbitrary content modules around on a page.
>
> The Portlet Reorderer (for wont of a better name) is an implementation
> of the Reorderer that allows fully keyboard-accessible and drag-and-
> drop re-ordering of portlets in uPortal. It is designed to be
> configurable with respect to the definition of which portlets are
> reorderable, the locations of drop targets, and grab handles within
> the portlets.
>
> We have a functioning mock-up available (using the new uPortal skin)
> on our build site:
>          http://build.fluidproject.org (last link on the page)
> Note: In this mock-up, the Google portlet is locked in the top-left
> spot.
>
> Please have a look, and let us know any feedback you have.
>
> The work is not quite complete yet. Here's what we're currently
> working on:
>
> 1) Allowing portlets to be dragged into an empty column: Right now,
> you can move all of the portlets out of a column, but you cannot yet
> move any back into an emptied column.
>
> 2) Allowing keyboard access to links, etc. within the portlets. There
> was some discussion about this issue on the fluid-work mailing list
> last month, and based on that, our current proposal is summarized at
>          http://fluidproject.org/work/keyboardtest/keyboardtest.html
> We'd appreciate input on this scheme, since it has not yet been fully
> addressed by existing standards or guidelines, so we're basically
> forging new ground. Please have a look, and let us know any thoughts
> you have.
>
> I'm working on updating the documentation on our wiki to reflect the
> recent changes in the Reorderer API, and the addition of the
> PortletLayoutHandler.
>
> Barbara is in the process of conducting user trials here in Toronto
> using this mock-up, which will inform the prioritization of work on
> this module. You can learn about the protocol and results on the wiki,
> at
>      http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Portlet+Layout+Manager
>
> Interested parties can track our progress on this work by monitoring
> our JIRA site, in particular
>      http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-49
>

> We'd love to hear your thoughts on the Portlet Reorderer, and if you
> have ideas of other contexts where this work might be applied, we'd be
> very interested in working with you to extending it. The source code,
> as always, is available from the Fluid SVN repository:
>      https://source.fluidproject.org/svn/fluid/components/trunk/
>
> --
> Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
> [...]

Daphne Ogle