User Testing the uPortal Layout Manager

Justin Obara infielder6 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 17:30:02 UTC 2008

Hello,

Here are some thoughts that I had on the usability issues. Not sure how feasible they are, but thought they might lead to some good ideas.

In regards to helping users to distinguish which portlets are movable and which aren't, user 2 suggested changing the framing of the movable portlets.

What may be one option is to make the movable portlets appear to float above the screen (e.g. with a drop shadow), while leaving the locked
portlets flat against the background. This might help the user realize which ones are movable and which are anchored in place.

In regards to the drop target:

Part of the issue is that the dragged portlet obscures the drop target indicator, especially when the title bar is over top of it.

Maybe, in addition to the drop target appearing the styling of the dragged portlet can also change (e.g. framed in green, the
opacity level changed, or etc.)

Thanks
Justin

On 14-Feb-08, Barbara Glover wrote:

Seems I forgot the all important link :-)
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Portlet+Layout+Manager
+Results