Update: Portlet Reorderer

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 14 17:24:10 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

We've been making some great progress in applying the Reorderer to
portlets, and I'm overdue to update the community with what we have.
This work was undertaken initially for implementation in uPortal, but
we think that what we've developed may be useful for the broader
application of moving arbitrary content modules around on a page.

The Portlet Reorderer (for wont of a better name) is an implementation
of the Reorderer that allows fully keyboard-accessible and drag-and-
drop re-ordering of portlets in uPortal. It is designed to be
configurable with respect to the definition of which portlets are
reorderable, the locations of drop targets, and grab handles within
the portlets.

We have a functioning mock-up available (using the new uPortal skin)
on our build site:
         http://build.fluidproject.org (last link on the page)
Note: In this mock-up, the Google portlet is locked in the top-left
spot.

Please have a look, and let us know any feedback you have.

The work is not quite complete yet. Here's what we're currently
working on:

1) Allowing portlets to be dragged into an empty column: Right now,
you can move all of the portlets out of a column, but you cannot yet
move any back into an emptied column.

2) Allowing keyboard access to links, etc. within the portlets. There
was some discussion about this issue on the fluid-work mailing list
last month, and based on that, our current proposal is summarized at
         http://fluidproject.org/work/keyboardtest/keyboardtest.html
We'd appreciate input on this scheme, since it has not yet been fully
addressed by existing standards or guidelines, so we're basically
forging new ground. Please have a look, and let us know any thoughts
you have.

I'm working on updating the documentation on our wiki to reflect the
recent changes in the Reorderer API, and the addition of the
PortletLayoutHandler.

Barbara is in the process of conducting user trials here in Toronto
using this mock-up, which will inform the prioritization of work on
this module. You can learn about the protocol and results on the wiki,
at
     http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Portlet+Layout+Manager

Interested parties can track our progress on this work by monitoring
our JIRA site, in particular

We'd love to hear your thoughts on the Portlet Reorderer, and if you
have ideas of other contexts where this work might be applied, we'd be
very interested in working with you to extending it. The source code,
as always, is available from the Fluid SVN repository:
     https://source.fluidproject.org/svn/fluid/components/trunk/

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Software Designer, Fluid Project           fluidproject.org