User Testing the uPortal Layout Manager

Barbara Glover barbara.glover at utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 14 16:17:50 UTC 2008

Hi all
I have completed 4 user tests of the Portlet Layout Manager.  The
results are at this link.

You will see from the user testing that people are having troubles
realizing they can move portlets at all.

Other issues we need to address in the design are:

Locked Portlets:
- how to convey to user a portlet is locked.  Cursor change is not
enough.
- where should a "lock" icon be placed?  Upper left corner of
titlebar is not a good location.
- Tooltip text is helpful but first must see the icon.  Could move
the icon to the middle of title bar or to the right corner.
- Tool tip/hover text saying "section cannot be moved" could be if
they hover anywhere on title bar
- Could remove title bar from locked portlets as Shaw-han has suggested

Drop target indicators:
- green bar is too small and not being noticed enough
- maybe make it thicker and with an arrow indicating where portlet
will go

These are the big usability issues found.  We need to make changes to
improve these usability issues before the portlet layout manager is
released.  Let's have a discussion early next week.  I notice Gary
has some new design ideas too.

Gary we'd love to have you participate in this meeting.  What are
some times that work for you?

Everyone send me your times and let's get rid of these usability
issues! :-)

Suggested time: Wednesday, Feb 20th at 10am PST / 1pm EST

thanks
Barbara