User Testing the uPortal Layout Manager

Shaw-Han Liem shawhan.liem at utoronto.ca
Wed Feb 13 15:48:02 UTC 2008

Hi Everyone,

We are about to go into our second round of user tests for the uPortal
Layout Manager. If you aren't familiar with this component, it is an
implementation of the Re-orderer that will allow fully
keyboard-accessible and drag-and-drop re-ordering of portlets in uPortal.

The design team is working on refining the designs based on our user
tests while the development team is working on uPortal integration.

The current design we are testing (based on Gary Thompson's great new
uPortal skin) can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/2r89b2

(caution: the mockups have only been tested in firefox)

In particular we'll be testing the placement and design of the "locked"
icon, as well as some of the behaviours for mouse drag and drop.

We thought we'd send these out to the community as a progress report and
invite any comments regarding the design and the testing activities. If
you are interested in our user testing results so far, they can be found
in the wiki at this url:

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/x/kIAk

Thanks,

Shaw-Han